Saucer Magnolia tree - Magnolia x soulangiana

There is a botanical garden a short distance from where I work that I sometimes go for a walk in. I was there for a short time today and to my surprise I came across a Saucer Magnolia just coming into flower.

I have been though the garden many times but today was the first time that I have taken notice of this tree. Had I known that it was there I´m sure that I would have been on the lookout for it. As it was I almost missed it as I walked by. Something caught my eye however and when I looked over I saw the new flowers (top two images)

These next two images are not from the same tree but rather are pictures that my sister sent me of a tree that she saw one day on her way to work last year. I´m pretty sure that they are the same species although there might be a slight cultivar difference.
This tree is in the same genus as the Southern Magnolia.
Click here for a fantastic sequence of images of the Magnolia Grandiflora opening.

1 comment:

  1. Any ideas on how to make this grow faster? I've had mine for 3 years, and hardly has grown in height at all. It's only about a 5 gallon size.

    ReplyDelete